About Me

My photo
United States
Why Marbles My 1st blog attempt Was an answer to a promise I made to my eldest son when I handed him a jar full of marbles. The marbles were from a collection saved by my mother over the years of my childhood, and I must admit that if left to me I would have already lost all of my marbles. My son asked if I could jot down some of the ways these marbles were used I told him I would write down as much as I could remember and send it to him later. I am the supreme procrastinator of all time which resulted in him sending me a reminder at which time he promised not to lose my marbles and I reassured him that I would get busy and tell him and his children how the beautiful round bits of glass and minerals were used for amusement and competition. My Response2 blog arose out of frustration with the attitudes and lack of respect for our country, our traditional ethics, and educational system. Rons Lyrics and Poetry started just because my scribbles needed a place to rest.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

PROCRASTINATION and my Blog to My son Tod

Being a procrastinator has its advantages, and in this particular case it gave me time to think. This little endeavor of explaining a simple child’s game could be used in more than one way. I could just explain the game as played during my childhood but the phrase “He’s lost his marbles” kept haunting me. How many use-full (more or less) bits of information have been lost over the centuries in passing teachings from life experience and parents onto our progeny. If we were to look at these things as something to collect and pass on rather than just using and discarding, we might save our family some time and trouble.
The main source of good sense marbles is the book of Proverbs but there are always a few little marbles that get misplaced in everyday life. Generally they are the ones that don’t reflect the best light or prettiest colors and are what we call mistakes. Some of our most important lessons come from the mistakes and failures made during our game of marbles, but these are the ones that do not get passed down from generation to generation. We all need mistakes, to learn how to overcome adversity and to recover from the wrong turns we are capable making during our lives. Passing our marbles on to our children is and should be an obligation of parenting, but in our current society that’s not always possible, due to instability of relationships and divorce, one of my murky colored marbles. Hopefully I can be as forthright as possible but I must admit that some of my most dingy and icky colored marbles may become lost forever and good riddance to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment